CV and Work History
I seek team working environments and dynamic companies with interesting or evolving jobs. I am a veteran of several very successful startups and greatly enjoy the challenge of taking risks and forging a new business. I'm interested in anything that matches my skill set, but I lean towards careers that mesh my business skills with my technical expertise. I'm very interested in growing my skills and am a continuous learner and teacher. I consider a casual work environment and smart coworkers to be serious perks. Above all, I cherish difficult problems and new challenges.
Please note that I am currently in the Greater Vancouver area and actively seeking positions with interesting startups and socially positive ventures as well as longer term options with more traditional companies.
Business: Horizontal skill set with significant experience in business development and assessment. Have been part of building many successful startups as well as cross-functional teams in existing ventures.Strong knowledge of the financial, marketing and sales aspects of business. Excellent at bridging the business and technology sides of commerce. Have successfully led many challenging development projects.
Internet: Tracks W3C heavily, HTML5, XHTML+RDFa, semantic web, linked data and most other evolving net standards. Very comprehensive understanding of how the net actually works at all levels from DNS wire protocols to SEO. Experienced with cloud computing, both private and public. I spend quite a bit of time thinking about and researching the evolution of the net. One of the few people that remembers the net before HTTP.Worked in crowd sourcing and understands concepts like engagement, game theory, social motivation and human computer interface issues.
Programming: Fluent in C, C++, Perl and PHP; I pick up new programming languages very quickly. Very strong data architecture skills with a healthy smattering of SQL. Have written several database and accounting programs for Windows, Solaris and Linux platforms. Deep UNIX experience on Linux and Solaris with a strong general UNIX skill set. I specialize in the edge cases: high security, high throughput, high reliability. Recently, my primary language has been PHP.
Networking: Have developed several network applications using a wide variety of network transports, cryptographic protocols, and OS platforms. Extensive Cisco experience in large-scale heterogeneous networks. I have been on the net for over 13 years. Extensive network design and maintenance experience in both large scale commercial and cutting edge academic research networks. Deep ICAP and HTTP caching experience.
Security: Deep firewall and IDS experience (including Checkpoint, Snort, ISS, Linux). Can perform advanced security audits for many platforms and networks. Have maintained high levels of network security in both backbone carrier and telco environments. Have designed and project managed high-security computing facilities in Vancouver and Toronto. Working knowledge of biometrics, smart cards and other high-security devices. Experienced in computer forensics as well as intrusion detection and prevention. Extensive general security knowledge and experience in both data and physical arenas.
Hardware: Very experienced in design and complete life cycle management of high throughput computing clusters, very large scale SAN infrastructure, and high performance networks. Deep experience with ia32 architectures. Have designed and built high reliability computing rooms and data centers from the ground up.Mac savvy. Can troubleshoot everything from toasters to clusters.
PKI: Designed, implemented and managed a national telecommunications PKI (Public Key Infrastructure). Extensive experience with all facets of PKI including: trust architectures, repositories, digital signatures and associated legislation in Canada and the U.S., and business integration issues. Security computing facility design experience. PKI programming and trust modeling experience with enterprise level PKI. Tracks most modern identity standards.
Community: I’m an active member in the Open Source Community. I know first aid, do not have a criminal record, and am eligible for most security clearances. I also have my Restricted Fire Arms License and am a certified HAM radio operator. I was a member of the Vancouver Emergency Community Telecommunications Organization (VECTOR).
July 2008 —
- Led the technical commercialization effort for a major crowd sourcing platform.
- Built a custom high performance framework in support of the above to replace the Zend Framework with something more suited to the specifics of our development cycle and needs.
- Managed a team of 4-7 programmers and technologists to deliver real products, on time, on budget and feature complete. Used a variety of development models including several flavours of Agile, primarily Agile Unified Process.
- Assisted the sales process and was involved in various capacities in most of the corporate activities.
- Worked on commoditizing IP and product architecture.
- Responsible for overall technical direction of the company.
- Generally had a lot of fun and hope my staff did too!
Blackcat Systems (Private Consulting)
- Provides high security consulting for data networks, physical locations and software design.
- Aids in the development of business and marketing plans for high technology start ups. In addition to my own ventures, I mentor actively in the business and technology communities. (references available)
- Custom-designs programs to suit a wide range of requirements. Architectural review and assessments as well as code remediation services.
- Open Source Software development.
- Technical and security code audits and reviews.
- Acts as a liaison between startups and the finance community.
- Coding for fun and profit.
February 2006 —
Cogneto Development Inc.
Chief Technology Officer
- Founded Cogneto in February 2006 and helped raise £1.2 million in initial funding.
- Assembled a world-class programming team and built a software development program deeply meshed with user-centric design and high security programming.
- Touched almost all the facets of building a first-rate startup.
- Contributed to a rich patent portfolio spanning over 12 patents.
December 2004 —
Adzilla New Media Inc.
Sr. Software Architect
- Designed, developed and deployed a high-throughput, cross platform ICAP server using a multiprocess, multithreaded architecture to handle seamless inline web content modification.
- Managed a programming group with Java, C++ and Ruby programmers.
- Was responsible for all development direction, specification, and management.
- Used cutting edge C++ tools in a heterogeneous UNIX environment including: BOOST, XMLRPC, and SOAP.
- Implemented and managed a full SDLC process that included ticket based code control with extensive version management.
May 2004 —
- International business consulting, specializing in brick and mortar relocations to South East Asia.
- Briefly became a Sock Baron. With sceptre and crown. Really.
April 2002 —
Universit of Dundee
High Performance Computing Manager
- Managed the specification and provisioning of a 20TB SAN based primarily on IBM hardware and Tivoli Storage Manager. Delivered a system that provided 2Gbp/s pure NFS file services.
- Designed and implemented a new network backbone based around Cisco network equipment. The new backbone included extensive security, network address translation and intrusion detection.
- Built monitoring and configuration tools that self discovered network switch topology, modified network configurations and identified problem areas as the network grew.
- Built a 100 processor research cluster using a custom PXE and imaging system. Implemented Sun Grid Engine and wrote a software deployment package for the cluster.
- Involved in several biological research projects.
May 2001 —
GT Group Telecom Inc.
Manager of PKI Development
- Guided and managed the operations GT’s PKI.
- Guided the documentation process.
- Acted in a business development role for PKI opportunities.
- Continued my involvement in application development and maintenance.
March 1998 —
GT Group Telecom Inc.
Sr. Ecommerce Architect/Designer
- Designed and supervised the construction of two high security PKI vaults and associated infrastructure.
- Coordinated a national audit of GT’s networks, systems and physical security that encompassed over 2000 systems, 1000 networks, 3 autonomous routing domains and 16 cities.
- Performed many data forensic investigations and was a key member of GT’s Computer Security Incident Response Team.
- Was responsible for network security in all of Group Telecom's high security networks and added extensive security experience to the team.
- Designed several PKI based applications in Perl, C, C++, and PHP including the Realtorlink Hybrid Authentication system and Secure Private Internet Messaging (SPIM).
- Was responsible for the design and implementation of all of Group Telecom's PKI-centric applications, services and facilities.
- Provided sales support for our PKI and security products.
- Delivered business assessment for potential partners and clients.
October 1997 —
GT Group Telecom Inc.
UNIX Administrator/Applications Programmer
- Responsible for all UNIX administration and setup.
- Troubleshooting and maintenance on Cisco equipment.
- First tier tech support.
- Intranet development and internal PC support.
- Major Project: Enterprise Usage Collection System(solely responsible for design, development, and deployment)
- SNMP network usage collection and aggregation.
- Database driven with HTML reports (including graphs).
- Fault tolerant design allowed multiple collection points.
- Separation of data collection and processing.
- Customer usage view and query pages (both internal and customer facing).
- Integration with billing systems.
- System drove GT’s entire data billing systems for over 2000 networks and was responsible for the billing of millions of dollars of revenue every month.
May 1996 —
Axion Internet Communications Inc.
System Administrator / MIS
- Was responsible for all UNIX administration and setup. Maintained large network with an installed base of WinNT and Sparc servers.
- Extensive experience with enterprise IT infrastructure including designing and maintaining DNS, POP mail, sendmail, INN, and caching services for a 15,000 user network.
- Dealt extensively with both BC Tel Business and BC Tel Advanced Communication.
- Redesigned network topology and routing.
- Proficient with all duties relating to running an Internet service provider.
- Designed the user tracking and online time billing program, integrating diverse data sources into an object-oriented database.
- Extensive product and marketing research.
- Several other pending security and identity related patents.
- Tamper-resistant GPS-bound key storage - patent pending.
- Secure Private Internet Messaging - patent pending.
- Raghava, GPS, Searle, SMJ, Audley, PC, Barber, JD. and Barton, GJ. (2003). OXBench: A benchmark for evaluation of protein multiple sequence alignment accuracy. BMC Bioinformatics 4:47.
Random Bits //
- Have travelled extensively both for business and pleasure.
- Can suit up and pitch to everyone from Europe's top brokers to Southern American textile tycoons.
- Roasts coffee and produces to die for cinnamon roasted goodness.
- Pines constantly for more artistic talent in both music and graphic design. You don't want to see some of my old work. Trust me.
- I'm a bit of a polymath and can hold up my end of a conversation on just about anything.
- Full Canadian Citizenship.